The Open Canoe Level 2 Beginner’s Course takes place on the weekend of the 22nd/23rd June 2019
When you learn to open canoe on a Wild Water Kayak Club Beginners’ Open Canoe Course, you get much more than just the course. You also become a member of Ireland’s largest and most diverse paddle sports club, with opportunities to try out all the paddling disciplines such as adventure kayaking, marathon and wild water racing, canoe polo, slalom, as well as open canoeing. You also get the opportunity to take part in all of WWKC’s many different activities such as river trips, weekends away paddling, and further training courses.
The learn to open canoe course fee covers the training course itself, membership of the club until the end Feb 2020, and use of all club equipment.
Further details of the courses are below. Please note that these courses are for adults (over 18) only.
WWKC Open Canoe Course Dublin
Level 2 Adult Beginners Canadian Canoe Course
Full payment is required on booking. This is refundable up to 3 weeks before the course is due to start. After this time you may only receive a refund if we are able to fill your place on the course.
- 2-day course including Canoeing Ireland’s Level 2 Assessment
- Membership of the club until March following year
- Membership of Canoeing Ireland until June following year (€30 included in course fee)
- Participation in regular club trips and courses (additional fees may apply for some trips/courses)
- Use of club gear i.e. open boats, paddles, helmets, buoyancy aids, etc.
- We also encourage course participants to have an after course social beverage in the Angler’s Rest to debrief and get to know each other and the instructors and helpers better.
*Course dates are subject to change if required by WWKC. WWKC club has the right to refuse membership and that this will be notified to the individual prior to the beginning of their nominated course.
The WWKC Open Canoe Course Dublin covers the following:
- Enter and Exit the canoe safely
- Forward & Reverse Paddle techniques
- Stop in a straight line within four strokes.
- Turn using sweep strokes in Doubles from Bow to Hip and Stern to Hip and a full sweep stroke in solo, both forward and reverse sweeps on each side
- Simple Draw Stroke and Pry to move the canoe sideways in a reasonably straight line.
- How to Brace
- Pry Turn a canoe under movement to turn sharply.
- Capsize Drill
- Perform an X Rescue
- Carry out a figure of eight and a round turn with two half hitches Knots.
Is skill day, learning the basic skills, strokes & safety of paddling canoes both tandem & solo.
Involves a river trip & assessment. Destination TBC.
The club will provide boats, paddles, Buoyancy aids, helmets & instruction.
We would suggest that people need to bring for their own comfort:
- Packed lunch
- A towel
- A full warm change of clothes (you will be swimming at the same stage)
- Core clothing options
- Tracksuit bottoms, thermal tops
- On the water:
- Decent footwear that you are happy to get wet. Good sole, laced, zipped… needs to be secure on your feet. Barefoot or light pool deck booties are NOT suitable
- Windproof jacket
- Something to kneel on, most canoeists use knee pads from a hardware store or €5 from Lidl
The clubhouse is located on the Strawberry Beds road near the Angler’s Rest pub. Coming from Chapelizod, travel up Knockmaroon Hill, veer left at the traffic lights and the club is about 400 metres from the lights on the left-hand side. Parking is available in the Angler’s Rest car park [hr] For further information email email@example.com . Looking forward to seeing you on the Water!