Learn to open canoe
The Open Canoe Level 2 Beginner’s Course is on
Saturday 24th & Sunday 25th June 2017
When you learn to canoe on a Wild Water Kayak Club Beginners’ Open Canoe Course, you get much more than just the course. You also become a member of Ireland’s largest and most diverse paddle sports club, with opportunities to try out all the paddling disciplines such as adventure kayaking, marathon and wild water racing, canoe polo, slalom, as well as open canoeing . You also get the opportunity to take part in all of WWKC’s many different activities such as river trips, weekends away paddling, and further training courses.
The course fee covers the training course itself, membership of the club until the end Feb 2018, and use of all club equipment.
Further details of the courses are below.
Please note that these courses are for adults (over 18) only.
Open Canoe Level 2 Beginner’s course
Sat 24 & Sun 25 June 2017*
€230 (non members) / €60 (existing WWKC members)
9am – 5pm
Full payment via PayPal is required on booking. This is refundable up to 3 weeks before the course is due to start. After this time you may only receive a refund if we are able to fill your place on the course.
- Pre-course information
- 2 day course including Canoeing Ireland’s Level 2 Assessment
- Membership of the club until March 2018.
- Membership of Canoeing Ireland until June 2018 (€20 included in course fee)
- Participation in regular club trips and courses (additional fees may apply for some trips/courses)
- Use of club gear i.e. open boats, paddles, helmets, buoyancy aids etc.
- We also encourage course participants to have an after course social beverage in the Angler’s Rest to debrief and get to know each other and the instructors and helpers better.
*course dates are subject to change if required by WWKC
The course covers the following:
- How to Enter and Exit the canoe
- How to Forward & Reverse Paddle
- How to Stop in a straight line within four strokes.
- How to Turn using sweep strokes in Doubles from Bow to Hip and Stern to Hip and a full sweep stroke in solo, both forward and reverse sweeps on each side.
- How to do Simple Draw Stroke and Pry to move the canoe sideways in a reasonably straight line.
- How to Brace
- How to Pry Turn a canoe under movement to turn sharply.
- How to Capsize Drill
- How to X Rescue
- How to do figure of eight and a round turn with two half hitches Knots.
Will be a skills day, learning the basic skills, strokes & safety of paddling canoes both tandem & solo.
Will be a river trip & assessment. Destination TBC.
The club will provide boats, paddles, Buoyancy aids, helmets & instruction.
We would suggest that people need to bring for their own comfort:
- Packed lunch
- A towel
- A full warm change of clothes (you will be swimming at the same stage)
- Core clothing options
- Track suit bottoms, thermal tops
- Dry suit
- On the water:
- Decent footwear that you are happy to get wet. Good sole, laced, zipped… needs to be secure on your feet. Barefoot or light pool deck booties are NOT suitable
- Wind proof jacket
- Something to kneel on, most canoeists use knee pads from a hardware store or €5 from Lidl bargain bin
The clubhouse is located on the Strawberry Beds road near the Angler’s Rest pub. Coming from Chapelizod travel up Knockmaroon hill, veer left at the traffic lights and the club is about 400 metres from the lights on the left hand side. Parking is available in the Angler’s Rest car park
For further information email firstname.lastname@example.org . Looking forward to seeing you on the Water!