RNLI Fundraiser 11th May

For general chit-chat, notices and paddling or club related news

Moderators: Pwall83, atbarber

Catherine B

RNLI Fundraiser 11th May

Post by Catherine B » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:19 pm

Hey all,

RNLI are having a fund raising day on Saturday May 11th 2019. Canoing Ireland are looking for volunteers from the clubs around the country to host a come and try session outside their nearest RNLI station, which in our case is Howth or Wicklow Town this year. If could get enough people to run a similar set up to how we run the beginner courses it would be great, basically a few L2 instructors and some competent L2 and L3 paddlers to help the instructors on the water.

If you're interested in helping with this please sign up below and let me know your paddling level and if you've got an instructor cert. I'll update here as get more details about what's happening on the day. Also let me know which station suits you best.

Thanks,
Cathy
Last edited by Catherine B on Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cathy Boothman (L2)

blu3cat

Re: RNLI Fundraiser 11th May

Post by blu3cat » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:31 pm

Hey Cathy, Jacob here, L2, own gear. If I can be of any help, lemme know.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:19 am

Thanks Cathy

As said elsewhere, had signed up to help with Wicklow, have a good mate who is based in the station there, so good chance of coffee :D

Cheers Andy

atbarber

Post by atbarber » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:41 am

I will help out in Wicklow as well. I also knowAndy’s friend
Adrian Barber
L3 instructor, L2 Coach

Ben Campbell

Post by Ben Campbell » Wed May 01, 2019 8:46 am

Hey Cathy,

I can help out with this as well. Just the L3 skills, no instructor cert.

Cheers,
Ben

Catherine B

Post by Catherine B » Wed May 01, 2019 11:19 am

I got an email from CI with a bit more information about the day, here's some of the more relevant information ;

--------------

Howth – left of the RNLI slip way - Wildwater kayak

It is hoped to sell one box of RNLI pins worth €120.00 per location and raise 8 x 15.00 euro over three taster sessions.

The premise of the day would be to run ‘Come and Try’ sessions at the above locations. Each one lasting 45 minutes including kitting out, on the water time and explaining a little bit about the RNLI (packs for handing out to follow). The sessions would be ran by valid Canoeing Ireland instructors. Club helpers would be needed to help prep the visitors with gear and equipment. Where possible we would like it if club helpers could sell badges during the ‘Come and Try’ sessions.

---------------

Further information required by CI, answers to CI after each point, let me know what you guys think:

Contact name and number of person in charge on the day: Have given Paul Sheridan's

Contact name and number of the instructor on the day: Have given Andy's

Do you have enough instructors to run the 3 ‘Come and Try’ session each: yes, going to run 1 per hour

Do you have enough helpers: 3 helpers Paul, Ben and Jakub - could do with more

What equipment do you have: Club gear - ideally 8 sets, need to figure out roof rack spaces and see if we need help getting gear to Howth

Quantities: 8

What equipment do you need:

Quantities:

Who could take charge of branding if Canoeing Ireland can provide it: Paul said he'd do this

Would you mind putting it up on the day: as long as it's straightforward

Would someone be willing to take control of media and photos on the day: suggest Jakub, as he got some great pictures

Do you have a club logo/imagery:

Would you like Canoeing Ireland to promote your club/business for this: yes
Cathy Boothman (L2)

Catherine B

Post by Catherine B » Wed May 01, 2019 10:01 pm

Hey guys,

Thanks to all of you who volunteered to help out with this! Canoeing Ireland want us to run the one in Howth rather than Wicklow, I hope this is OK with you all. The idea is that the five of you will bring a group of 8 out onto the water for 45 mins three times with 15 mins between each session (so 3 hours in total). We will hopefully be using club gear but I want to figure out how to get it from the club to Howth along with your own gear.

So assuming we have three roof racks (Andy, Jakub and Paul) we can get the gear out;

Aido - bringing his own gear in his car (no roof racks)
Andy - own gear + 3 extra sets from the club
Jakob - own gear + 3 extra sets from the club
Paul - own & Ben's gear + 2 extra sets from the club

Am I correct in these assumptions and if so is this OK with everyone? I'm not sure what time these sessions are being organised for but looking at the ones that are already available for booking through eventbrite they seem to be 12:00, 13:00 and 14:00. I'll confirm the times with you as soon as I know them.
Cathy Boothman (L2)

Catherine B

Post by Catherine B » Tue May 07, 2019 7:37 pm

Email from Vicki today confirming change of location from Howth to Skerries and that RNLI will have the branding materials out there.

--------------------------------------------

Hi Cathy,

As discussed. We will revert to Skerries: updated link is now https://www.eventbrite.com/e/rnli-come- ... affiliate1

I will keep you posted of any attendees. East Coast Sea kayakers will also be heading to Skerries to run their come and try session. RNLI Skerries will have the badges branding and information for you.

Thanks,
Vicki Guy
Cathy Boothman (L2)