AVONMORE CLASSIC 2014
Sunday 5th January:
Rathdrum to Avondale Forest Park / Avondale Forest Park to Avoca
Due to a tree down the following changes have been made to ensure a safe race.
- The activities will kick off with the team event, which will start at Rathdrum at midday.
- The team event will finish 3.5 kilometres downstream in the grounds of Avondale House.
- The finish line will be clearly marked on river right. Paddlers are asked to be vigilant upon crossing the line to ensure that they catch the eddy about 30 metres downstream on river right to get out on the beach which is marked with yellow incident tape.
- At this point, paddlers must get out of their boats and walk on the forest paths in the grounds of Avondale House alongside the river until they reach the yellow incident tape just upstream of a railway bridge. This is the point at which it is safe to get back onto the water. The reason for this compulsory portage is there is a fallen tree across the river which is extremely dangerous.
- For those competing in the individual event, the start of this race is just below the railway bridge.
- The finish of the individual race is at Avoca (giving a race distance of approx. 7 kms). The sequencing of the two races like this ensures people don’t have to do a shuttle between the team event and the individual event.
- The individual event will kick off slightly earlier than previously advertised at 12.45 PM to allow racers time to get to the start line while also ensuring they don’t have to wait around too long and risk getting cold.
A map of the paths in Avondale House can be seen in the following (note: the finish/get off & Start/get on points are marked in red):
[button text=”Download Avonmore Classic Race Map PDF” link=”/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Avonmore_classic_map.pdf”]
For those not participating in the individual event, it is suggested that they paddle down to The Meetings of the Waters in groups/teams. Please ensure to keep out of the way of those racing in the individual event on this stretch of river. The race briefing will explain race etiquette, so that people will know the do’s and don’ts.
The prize giving will take place in the Meetings of the Waters pub at 2.30pm. We’ve some excellent raffle prizes from our very generous sponsors (Boyne Valley Activities, First Response, i-Canoe, Swiftwater Training), so please ensure to stick around for this!
Sunday January 5th 2014
Individual: €10 Senior or €5 Junior/Student
Team event: €15 per team (teams consist of three paddlers)
10.30pm – Start of Entries
11.30 – Close of Entries
(Entries will be taken at bridge in Rathdrum)
The race briefing will explain race etiquette, so that people will know the do’s and don’ts.
TEAM RACE CLASSES (3 boats on team): Senior WWR, Junior WWR, Men’s creekboat, Women’s creekboat.
INDIVIDUAL CLASSES: Men’s WWR K1, WAVEHOPPER, C1, C2, Women’s WWR K1, Junior Men’s WWR K1, Men’s creekboat, Women’s creekboat.
CONTACT: Martin McCarthy – firstname.lastname@example.org – 085 174 2261
- Prizes will be raffled after the event
- All profits from this event will be donated to Down Syndrome Ireland (Meath Louth Branch)
- ICU cards will be requested on entry, all paddlers compete at their own risk
[button text=”Download Race Notice PDF” link=”/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Avonmore-race-notice-2014.pdf”]
View Avonmore (Rathdrum to the Meetings) River in a larger map