Beginners Courses 2017
Sign up to our Kayaking Beginners courses 2017: REGISTRATION NOW OPEN!
1st set of Courses start week of 8th May
2nd set of Courses start week of 19th June.
Click here to register for a course
When you learn to kayak on a Wild Water Kayak Club Beginners’ Course, you get much more than just the course. You also become a member of Ireland’s largest and most diverse paddle sports club, with opportunities to try out all the paddling disciplines such as adventure kayaking, marathon, wild water racing, canoe polo, slalom & open canoeing .
The dates* for the courses in 2017 are:
Mon 8th May Wed 10th May Thurs 11th May
Mon 12th June – completed Weds 14th June – completed Thurs 15th June – completed
Mon 19th June
Weds 21st June
Thurs 22nd June
Mon 24th July
Weds 26th July
Thurs 27th July
*course dates are subject to change if required by WWKC
The course fee doesn’t just cover the 6 weeks course. It’s an introduction to the club and we provide continuous training to encourage you to progress in kayaking.
During the Course:
- Pre-course Introduction Talk.
- The 6 weeks course including Canoeing Ireland’s Level 2 Assessment
- Membership for the rest of the club year (end of Feb 2018)
- Membership of Canoeing Ireland for 1 year
- Use of club boats, paddles, spraydecks, wetsuit long-johns and buoyancy aids
After the Course
- Continuation sessions to get you started on your journey to L3 (moving water)
- Kayaking Clothing and Gear Introduction Talk
- River trips with club leaders
- Use of club gear (boats, paddles etc) on club trips till May 2018
- Progression sessions and continuous training
- Paddling Weekends away
- Weekly Pool Sessions in Winter – to learn and practice Eskimo Rolls (extra fees of €8/€10 to cover pool hire)
- Access to all disciplines from a beginner level upwards (Open canoeing, Slalom, Canoe polo, Marathon, Wild Water Racing)
Further details of the courses are below. Please note that these courses are for adults (over 18) only.
6 Week Adult Beginners Course Details
6 Weeks + ongoing club trips + membership till 2018
6.30 – 9.30 pm
Full payment via Stripe is required on booking. This is refundable up to 4 weeks before the course is due to start. After this time you may only receive a refund if we are able to fill your place on the course.
The course covers the following:
- An understanding of the basic safety rules of canoeing
- An ability to enter and exit a kayak correctly
- Forward paddle, reverse paddle, and stop.
- An ability to turn while stationary using forward sweep stroke, reverse sweep stroke and a combination of forward and reverse sweep strokes.
- Simple draw stroke
- Low brace
- Turning on the move
- Edging while the kayak is moving
- Lower body rotation
- Capsize drill
- An ability to assist in an assisted X rescue and/or an H rescue
Our Level 2 skills courses and assessments are fully certified by Canoeing Ireland.Click here to register for a course
The clubhouse is located on the Strawberry Beds road near the Angler’s Rest pub. Coming from Chapelizod travel up Knockmaroon hill, veer left at the traffic lights and the club is about 400 metres from the lights on the left hand side. Parking is available in the Angler’s Rest car park
For further information email email@example.com .
Looking forward to seeing you on the Water!
Alan Hall & Paul Jordan
WWKC Beginners Officers 2017
Some images from our current & previous beginners courses